EXPLORE KENTUCKY'S FINEST FARMS AND SANCTUARIES
- Hike Raven Run Nature Sanctuary (free)
- Visit Old Friends Horse Farm (free)
- Hike Shaker Village's trails (free), ride the Dixie Belle Riverboat ($$)
- Visit the Kentucky Horse Park ($$)
- Spend a day at Serenity Hill Farm in Nicholasville, home to a small flock of Romney sheep. Watch the sheep shearing, card the wool and buy a skein of yarn!
- Day trip to the John James Audubon State Park in Henderson, KY.
SPEND TIME IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS
- Pick blackberries in the wild (free)
- Find and take a picture of a covered bridge in Kentucky (free). Here is a link to a nearby covered bridge, the Switzer covered bridge near Frankfort. Here is another covered bridge in Paris (Bourbon County), the Colville Covered Bridge.
- Go birding at McConnell Springs Park (free)
- Visit Salato Wildlife Center (nominal fee)
FAMILY FRIENDLY ACTIVITIES
- Attend Ballet Under the Stars at Woodland Park, August 1-4, $5
- Join the Lexington Public Pools ($$)
- Sign the kids up for a summer of free bowling!
- See a $1 movie: Cinemark Fayette Mall Summer Movie Clubhouse or for $3.50, a movie with popcorn and drink at Amstar Brannon Crossing
- Pick fruit and play on the playground/at the petting zoo at Boyd Orchards ($$)
- See a children's play performed at the Lexington Children's Theater ($$)
- Tour Kentucky's own Ale-8-One bottling plant in Winchester
- Ride the train at the Bluegrass Railroad Museum in Versailles, KY
VISIT HISTORIC SITES AND NATIONAL/STATE PARKS
- Visit Ashland, the Henry Clay estate ($$)
- Visit Mammoth Cave, take a tour and become Jr. Rangers (some activities free, some $$)
- Visit Red River Gorge (free)
- Visit Abraham Lincoln's Birthplace and become Jr. Rangers (free)
- Hike Natural Bridge and Whittleton Arch (free)
- Visit Cumberland Falls (some free, some $$)
- Visit Cumberland Gap National Park and become Jr. Rangers (free)
SPEND A DAY(S) IN OUR STATE CAPITAL, FRANKFORT
- Visit Daniel Boone's Grave
- Tour State Capitol in Frankfort (free)
- Visit Buckley Wildlife and Audubon Sanctuary ($)
- While in Frankfort, drive by the only Frank Lloyd Wright structure in the state of Kentucky, the Reverend Jessie R. Ziegler house. (free)
- Visit and tour Rebecca Ruth Candy
- Eat a burger at Wallace Station on Old Frankfort Pike ($$)
BROADEN OUR MINDS
- Join Lexington Public Library's Summer Reading Program (free)
- See William Shakespeare's "As You Like It" on stage at Josephine Sculpture Park in Frankfort. Performances are June 7-9 and 13-15 at 7pm.
- Learn about Just in Time manufacturing as we tour the Toyota Manufacturing Plant (free)
- Day trip to Frasier History Museum in Louisville, one of the best living history museums in the United States.
ATTEND SUMMER CAMPS/CLUBS
- Attend Vacation Bible School (free)
- Attend one summer camp. Winshape is one such camp that is hosted at Crossroads Community Church July 1-5, 2013. ($$)
ENJOY KENTUCKY FESTIVALS AND LOCAL EVENTS
- Go to Southland Assn's Bluegrass Jamboree (beginning May 28, every Tuesday night, 7pm, free to the public!)
- See a Free Friday Flick at Jacobson Park (starts May 31)
- Go to a Big Band/Jazz concert at Moondance at Midnight Pass Ampitheater Beaumont or Ecton Park (free)
- Attend the awesome Great American Brass Band Festival in Danville, June 7-9.
- Go to the Sweet Corn Festival at Evans Orchard on July 20. ($$)
Got anything to add? Tell us about it in the comments!